Some people read books for fun.”Dimitri Belikov (Richelle Mead)
- Vampire Academy: 3/5 Stars
- Frostbite: 4/5 Stars
- Shadow Kiss: 4/5 Stars
- Blood Promise: 3/5 Stars
- Spirit Bound: 4/5 Stars
- Last Sacrifice: 4/5 Stars
The Vampire Academies takes place at St. Vladamir’s Academy; a school for dhampirs and Moroi. The Moroi are vampires and dhampirs, are half Moroi, half human, and they train to become guardians of the Moroi. A dhampirs life work is to protect their assigned Moroi (especially the Royals); they come first. Rose Hathaway is a dhampir that has a special bond with her Moroi best friend, Princess Vasilisa Dragomir. Rose is able to visit Lissa’s mind and see through her mind, but Lissa cannot do the same for Rose.
The six books in the series follow Rose through all of her trials and tribulations as a fiery spirit. Rose faces death, puts her life on the line for Lissa, finds and loses love, and a lot more, all while fighting professors, Strigoi (bad vampires), and whatever else threw at her. Each book brings a new story in Rose’s timeline and we get to see her life through her eyes (and through Lissa’s via Rose!). I don’t want to spoil the books, so if you like vampires, action adventures, slow burns, and some (non-steamy) romance, these books are perfect!
- Rose: I could not love Rose more. She is so fiery and will beat down anyone that threatens her friends. She has spunk and stands up for what she believes is right. Rose’s sarcasm and attitude really won me over. I am SO glad that she was the narrator of the story!
- Lissa: Lissa wasn’t a favorite of me. She was whiny and, in my opinion, didn’t deserve all the love and effort that Rose put into her. Rose wouldn’t be here without Lissa but still…she might be a princess but she was a royal pain in my butt.
- Dimitri: My love. Ugh. I loved him and couldn’t get enough of him. His character is the reason I had a lot of tears! He was a great instructor at the academy, but he had a great heart.
- Adrian: My sultry, comedic relief (also my love). I was very torn about wanting Rose with Adrian or Dimitri (couldn’t she have both????). He had his issues and addictions, but he was a good friend with a good soul. I’m glad he was in the series.
- There were A LOT of other characters, but these are the ones that I felt like touching on. Christian was annoying but I liked what he brought to the table. There were other royals and minor characters that added here or there to the story. Abe was a fun, ominous character and I liked the dark humor he brought into the characters’ lives.
I enjoyed the plots of each of these six books! They had decent purposes and I didn’t feel like the plot in the later books became boring (like it tends to in longer series). There were things that I thought could have been left out, but overall, the events in the books were essential and Mead did a nice job portraying them through Rose’s eyes. My favorite was the Strigoi piece. I was intrigued by the two different ‘breeds’ of vampires and liked how they differed so much from each other! By the time I was in the second book, I appreciated that the focus was more on the dhampirs and how they spend their lives defending the Moroi. The dhampirs are the reason that this was so action packed, not the vampires!
I thought that the writing in these books flowed nicely. Sometimes there were spots that I felt could have been less/more descriptive, but otherwise it was pretty cohesive. The one things that did ruffle my feathers was that at the beginning of the 2-6 books, Rose explains things from the previous book(s). I feel like these aren’t books that can be read out of order, so if someone read the previous book, they shouldn’t need the information dump (just my thoughts!). Mead did a nice job making the typical teenage drama (love triangles, looks, and everything in between) feel like the movie Mean Girls (my fave!). However, I expected some more vampire action, I think because I love Vampire Diaries and True Blood, I expected it to have that level of drama and vampire-ness, but it didn’t. I thought that might detract from the story, but it didn’t. I was so intrigued by the plot and characters that i didn’t mind the lack of typical vampire shenanigans!
Overall, I really did enjoy this series! The characters were compelling, the plot of the series as a whole was entertaining and engaging, and I enjoyed the writing style a lot! I would recommend this series to anyone that loves teenage drama with a splash of vampires!
Buy the series here!